July started out to be hot, hot, hot. Great if you're into bronzing your body. Not great if you're looking to tie into Reds. So it's a monthly summary, which is what happens when you've spent a good bit of time on the water, with little to show for it. Except for being on the water, which is better than not being on the water.
The few highlights for the month:
July 5th: Hit Secret Beach in the am on the incoming. Bounced a white paddle tail off the bottom. Picked up a couple of small Croakers, and, to my surprise, a keeper Speckled Trout. (released)

July 12th: Had a Cobia outing scheduled with Capt. Kenny Louderback, but cloudy skies and wind forced us to cancel. Waded off Plantation Creek instead. Fished a popping cork with a Salt Strong paddle tail (Mulligan 2.0 in Slam Shady) suspended underneath. Despite offshore winds, conditions off the beach were decent; water was relatively calm and clear. I was mostly goofing off; casting and popping, rinse and repeat. Not expecting much. Mostly looking around at all the critters in the water. Looked out to where I though my popping cork was, and couldn't see it.
(Pro guide tip: you should pay attention to your popping cork when fishing. But if you get distracted, and look out to see the cork nowhere on the surface, set the hook.)
So I set the hook.
My first thought as drag started screaming was Stingray, because whatever had eaten my soft plastic was heading to Norfolk. A few turns on the drag, though, and whatever it was turned. So not a Ray. A breach 20' out from me revealed a Bull Red. Got her in, though didn't get a pic because fumbling around for my phone in thigh deep water while holding on to a 40-50" fish is a recipe for something bad to happen. (like lose the phone). So I popped out the hook, and after a couple of shakes she swam off.
July 14th: Out in the am to fish the outgoing. Again with the popping cork, just meandering down and casting here and there. Then, near the mouth of Plantation Creek, I saw tails. Lots of tails. So, like an idiot, I chucked my popping cork in the middle of the school, only to see the water blow up like I'd thrown a stick of dynamite into it. Fortunately, my fishing faux pas had not spooked the school. I quickly reeled in, tied on a white Salt Strong Flea Flicker and cast back into the school. A couple of cranks on the reel, and my Flea Flicker was heading out into the bay. Slowly tightened the drag to turn the fish, and just when I thought I had it turned ... the line when slack. Figured my lure was accompanying the fish where it was going, but surprisingly, the lure was still on, albeit missing an important component:
And yes, the hook was a bit corroded. But not at the point of breakage. That was a big fish.
Yesterday: Fished Ostrica, Captain DiPaola's expansive property on a tributary to Nassawadox Creek, and the future headquarters of Mikey D Fishing. Construction is coming along nicely. The barn is looking good, and should be ready for the boat by the end of the season.
The dock was completed a few months ago (as you would expect), so I headed up to fish the incoming. Overcast skies, temps in the mid-70s. Lots of bait in the water. Fished live minnows under a float. Managed a decent sized Croaker, which was it.
But not a bad way to pass an afternoon....
This morning. High tide on Plantation Creek at 0724, calm winds, decent water clarity. We've had much cooler temps the last few days, so I figured a good chance the Reds would be in the shallows. I was right; cooler water brought in the fish, and some slot fish (a good sign). Unfortunately, they weren't eating what I was throwing.
A long report for so few fish. But we needed some content, and this is as good as it gets for July. Off to Missoula Montana with Mary in a couple of days to get my trout fix, then it's back on the salt for another try at Cobia with Captain Kenny. Seeing Reds on the shallows for the first time this year is hopefully a good sign for the fall.
Tight lines,
Mikey D Fishing
No comments:
Post a Comment