Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Potter County Fishing Report, 07 May: Hat Tip to Tackle Shack

 I'm as guilty as most of using online companies for my fly-fishing needs.  Mostly, it's just convenient.

But ... whenever I can pop into a mom and pop, I'll do it.  And for two reasons.  First, it's the best place for intel. (try asking the Caeblas customer service rep where the best fishing is on Pine Creek).  Second, brick and mortar stores will have the flies that work on local waters.

Case in point; Yesterday I was scouting water for a weekend visit by some out of town friends.  I've never fished the section of Pine Creek between the towns of Galeton and Wellsboro.  It's impossible to miss if you're driving along Rte 6.  There's a lot of fishable water.  It also gets a good stocking preseason.  And I always see anglers on the water.

Fortunately, there is a great resource near the town of Wellsboro.  I stopped into Tackle Shack (https://www.wellsborotackleshack.com/index.php.  You can also follow on FB) yesterday morning for some supplies and the scoop.  


The store has everything you need, whether fishing for Crappies, Bass, Trout, or any other kind of fish.  A most excellent selection of fishing/fly fishing gear, and one of the best fly selections I've seen.  And the staff  had the answers to my questions.  


So, after loading up on some flies, trout lures, leaders, a new wading staff (they haven't figured out a way to make them resistant to car doors), and especially intel, I headed to a spot they recommended.

Parked at the Pine Creek Trail access to fish Darling Run.  Easy to get to, just a few miles west of the shop in Ansonia.  It's a delayed harvest/Keystone Select section of Pine, which means (1) it gets a healthy stocking, (2) it's C&R until the middle of June, so the fish are there, and (3) some big trout get put in the water.

Got on the water around 1030.  No one else fishing.  Caddis's coming off, and fish were rising (if you look closely enough, you'll see the rings)


I tied on one of the Caddis flies I bought at the shop, and within 2 casts had a 12-inch Rainbow to the net.  I subsequently lost the fly in a tree, which was a good excuse to try something else.  Picked up a Rainbow on a black with purple flash Wooly Bugger, and a Rainbow and a Brownie on a Fegg.  No monsters, but all the fish were healthy and put up a good fight.

After the 4th fish I decided to head home.  Mission accomplished.  Weekend weather is not looking as nice as yesterday, but we need some rain and cooler temps (can't believe I'm saying that).  And, any day on the water is a good day.

Thanks again Renee and Tackle Shack!!!

Tight Lines,

Mikey D Fishing



No comments:

Post a Comment