Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Cape Charles, VA Fishing Report, November 15: Epic!

 You don't get many days like today.

It's been on the cool side since we got down to CC last week.  Temps in the mid to high 50s.  Water temps hovering around 60 degrees.  By this time the only fish that should be hanging around are the Speckled Trout.  Managed a few fish over the last few days, and a couple of keepers.  But overall kind of slow.

Today we enjoyed temps in the 60s with calm winds.  Went out to our usual spot near the mouth of Plantation Creek.  On the water around 1200.  Conditions were great.  Water was cool but the sun was out, and the water calm and aquarium clear.  Tide was heading out.

I've been fishing a Dyne XL in purple with a chartreuse belly, and have had reasonable success with the trout.  But for the first couple of hours all I was doing was casting.  A few baitfish popped the surface, but no bite.

About 2:00 I was ready to call it a day, but figured I'd toss the lure a couple more times.  That's when the magic began.  A fish slammed the lure; I knew it wasn't a trout.  Turned out to be a Red that easily went 26+ inches.  I looked out and saw Reds slashing the surface chasing bait.  A school that extended a couple of hundred feet.

A pleasant surprise, and for the next hour it was absolutely stupid.  The fish kept slamming the Dyne, eventually bending the trebles and finally bending the lure, rendering it unfishable.  I must have hooked and lost another 6 fish before the lure gave out.  Tied on a gold Clark's Spoon and kept hooking fish, until one broke me off at the leader-line connection.

I quickly tied on new leader, and decided to try a topwater.  It's really cool watching a trout hit a dry fly.  Even cooler is when a big Redfish hits a topwater.  It was my first action on top, and I managed to land three fish; an 18-incher and two that went 26+ inches.  I was actually tired fighting the last fish. A good problem to have.

Apologies, no photos, as I was alone and it's tough trying to get a shot while you're working to get a fish loose.  


Weather is forecase to continue to warm for the next few days.  Hoping today was not a one-off.  But if it was, I'll take it.

Tight Lines,

Mikey D Fishing


No comments:

Post a Comment