Search This Blog

Sunday, August 8, 2021

Cape Charles, VA Fishing Report, August 8: Tunin' Up for Cobia Time

 I headed down to Cape Charles a few days ahead of our scheduled Cobia outing with Capt. Kenny Louderback to give bay wade-fishing a shot.  Got out on the water about 9:15 am with the tide starting to move out.  


Skies were overcast with air temps in the 70s.  I fished near the mouth of Plantation Creek, just down the beach from the house.  I fished a Paul Brown's Soft-Dine XL, a baitfish-imitating soft plastic.  The lure suspends just below the surface, and wobbles when retrieved.  


Due to the overcast, the flat bottom of sand and grass wasn't particularly clear.  But, as I only had to wade up to mid-thigh depth (about 100 feet off the beach), it wasn't too difficult getting around.  I did take the precaution of wearing flats boots, which was prudent, because every once in awhile I kicked out a ray.

There isn't much to say about technique.  I just cast out about 80-90 feet, let the lure sink for a couple of seconds, then retrieved by taking a few cranks on the reel, then letting the lure sit for a second.  Just about every cast I'd get some grass on the hooks; an occupation hazard.  

Within the first 15 minutes of casting I got a hellacious take, and after a five minute fight (I had to back up to land the fish in shallower water), I had a 20-inch Redfish to hand.  The locals call these "Puppy Drum," which I guess makes some sense, as Bull Reds over 50 inches are caught in the lower bay.  But even a 20-inch fish puts up a head-shaking fight.


The quality of the photo was not what I would have liked.  But I was by myself, had not net, and no boca grip; even a bad photo is better than none at all.  

I stayed in the same spot for the next hour, and landed 4 more Reds; three around 20 inches, with the last easily going 24.  Around 11:00 the water was getting pretty low, and it seemed that the bite was off, so I called it a morning.


The fishing is only supposed to get better, and from what I've heard is out of control in the fall.  Still have a lot more to figure out, but not a bad start.  


Tight Lines,

Mikey D Fishing

1 comment:

  1. You are making me anxious to get to Florida and chase some redfish myself.

    ReplyDelete