Search This Blog

Thursday, March 19, 2020

Potter County Fishing Report: Nine Mile Run

A short report on an exploratory mission.  Decided to hit Nine Mile Run, a Class A stream that parallels Rte 6 for its entire length.  Driving along 6 it looked like good water, so conditions seemed ripe to give it a try.

I parked at a large pullout upstream of Denton Hill State Park, and walked down a gravel/dirt drive to the water.  The stream is small, no more than 10-15 feet wide, a classic small trout stream.  Air temps were in the 50s, with overcast skies.  Water was low, but a decent amount of fishy-looking places.  The stream was tight in spots, but as long as you're okay with sort casts, you can put the fly where it needs to be.



I began working upstream, and on my third cast picked up a 5-inch Brookie.  Unfortunately, he got off before I could get to the camera, but at least it confirmed the presence of fish.  As I worked my way up, however, the stream got narrower, the banks brushier, and it was apparent that going any further was not going to work.  So I moved downstream, which provided at least some more room for casting.

It also provided more room for catching, as I found a nice run which produced a couple of small but pretty Brookies, all taken on a size 16 Mary-tied Rainbow Warrior.


As I was only out to check out water, I decided to drive down Rte 6 a mile or so and check out Nine Mile Run below Denton Hill State Park.  At the park, Commissioner Run runs into Nine Mile.  I figured there would be more water, and hopefully more holding water.  I was kind of right.  There was considerably more water, and a lot more fishy-looking spots. What I didn't anticipate was that it was almost impossible to get a decent cast.  Forget the movie, this was junk-casting at its worst.  Whatever it took to get the nymph in a spot was the cast to make.  Unfortunately, it also meant near constant catching in overhanging branches.  Even bushwhacking between spots was irritating, as my rod kept getting caught in saplings.  I probably should have switched to a Bugger and drifted it downstream, but even then a hookup would have been difficult.  So, as my frustration level reach "Trout Whisperer" levels, I decided enough was enough and got off the water.

As long as we get decent rain, I think that Nine Mile Run above Denton Hill will be good for fishing at least into the spring.  I also think it'll be good dry fly/terrestrial fishing in a few weeks if the weather cooperates.  The lesson, though, is the enormous amount of wild and native trout streams in this county that rarely see an angler.

Tight Lines,
Mikey D Fishing

1 comment:

  1. Sorry I couldn't make it, CC. Glad you were able to. And glad to see you give Mary a well-deserved assist. As long as she keeps you in flies, you'll catch fish. Can't wait to try Nine Mile in dry-fly season.

    ReplyDelete