Search This Blog

Sunday, August 5, 2018

Potter County Fishing Report: Trout and the Dog Days of Summer

Catching a trout on the first cast usually means one of two things.  Either you're going to have a banner day, or your luck ran out with the first fish.

While the Allegheny is still high and moving fast (although showing good color), the tribs have benefited greatly from the recent rain events over the last two weeks.  So with clear skies this morning, the small streams beckoned.  I decided to broaden my Potter County portfolio by fishing Dingman Run, a small stream that empties into the Allegheny in Coudersport.  Access was fairly easy; a bridge just a short run up Dingman Run Road provided parking and easy access to the stream.

Like a fly-fishing "Minute Man," I normally keep the 3 wt. rigged with a hopper/pheasant tail dropper tandem.  Having broken my share of rods, it's probably not the smartest thing to do.  But then again it shortens the delay getting on the water; a decent trade off in my mind.

When  I got to the bridge around 9:30, air temps were creeping into the 70s.  The stream looked great; plenty of water and good flows.  The darkness under the bridge seemed like a place that a trout or two would be hanging out.



So with a short side cast I flung the tandem just under the bridge, and then fed line as the current took the flies further under the bridge.  Although it was hard seeing the hopper, I did see the splash, and a minute later brought a beautiful 12 inch Brookie to hand.  The trout had all the appearance of a native fish; colored up, perfect fins, and even a slightly kiped jaw.  Unfortunately, while fumbling for the camera, Mr. Brookie slipped off the hook and back under the bridge he went.

After a few more casts, I moved on downstream.  Dingman Run is classic small stream fishing.  No more than 15-20 feet wide, the stream has the characteristics of a mountain brook trout stream; narrow, with alternating riffles and pockets, undercut banks.  Water temps were in the low-60s, the stream kept cool by the canopy.  While these kinds of streams can be frustrating from a casting perspective, you really don't need to spend much time in any one spot.  Just move down (or up) stream, casting in likely holding areas.  If there's a fish holding, it'll more the likely eat the fly.  If not, just move to the next spot.

I moved about 100 yards down from the bridge, hitting some spot with no takers.  So it was looking like the first fish would be my last.  But then I got to a pool that just looked too fishy.


By this time I had somehow lost my dropper (probably on a tree branch), and my hopper was waterlogged, so I tied on a size 14 Humpy Adams.  I figured that if there were more Brookies, then an attractor should bring them to the surface.  Turned out to be the right call.  The next four casts all brought Brookies to the hand; three in the 4-5 inch range, and another dandy that went 10-11 inches.



Hindsight being 20-20, I should have just taken a break and let the hole relax, as I'm sure there were a few more fish in there.  But the stream beckoned, and so I fished down for the next hour and a half.  Despite finding a lot of great holding water, I couldn't manage a hit, let alone move a fish.  I probably covered a half mile of stream; the further downstream I went, the narrower it got.  By noon it was getting kind of hot, and it was a hike back to the truck.  And, since I hadn't seen a fish, it seemed like a good time to turn around.

On the way back home I stopped at the covered bridge in Coudersport, but three steps into the water and it was obvious that the current was just to fast for comfortable fishing.  A few more dry days and the big river will be in great shape.  Until then, though, the small streams beckon.

Tight Lines,
Mike D Fishing


No comments:

Post a Comment